Saturday, November 2, 2013

How did it all start for you?

I work developing software systems, more specifically I assess the level of quality of those systems. I've worked on any number of complex systems that all love to go wrong in interesting ways, some subtle and some glaring. The best possible outcome is that bugs or operational weaknesses are flushed out in the development and testing environments, but it's impractical to catch 100% of all possible problems there. After a production failure, I look at what the problem was, how it was detected in production and how we can prevent similar problems in the future by detecting them before they're in front of customers. This kind of root cause analysis is common across many engineering disciplines.

We've had recurring themes since the initial bond measure that passed and was followed by the closing of the Bullis Purissima campus which was followed by the formation of the charter school which was followed by everything else. However, I don't have a clear picture of root causes.

I'd like to try an exercise here. Every one of us has our own perspective on who was wronged by who and when, and what responses resulted. I'd like to crowdsource a catalog of all the offenses and construct a timeline that we might be able to use for a root cause analysis of just where this whole process went sideways.

My hope is that once we know how we got here, it might illuminate a path for getting to a more amiable place. If you want to contribute in the comments, feel free. If you want to contribute semi-anonymously, send me email at rob(dot)fagen(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll add your data to the thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment